REFINE- Day 5
STORY AND AWARD TRAINING:
Read the short story and award the Character Certificate for the week.
64 Victories….excerpts taken from Finish Strong (Amazing Stories of Courage and Inspiration) by Dan Green Simple Truths
Ben Hogan would ultimately retire with 64 professional victories and 9 major titles – 6 of which came after a life threatening car crash. He is known today as the father of the modern golf swing.
- One of his greatest contributions to the game is the concept of “practice.” Before Hogan, the idea of practicing the game of golf did not exist. His work ethic and commitment to improvement is the model for today’s touring professional.
- “You hear stories about me beating my brains out practicing, but…I was enjoying myself. I couldn’t wait to get up in the morning so I could hit balls. When I’m hitting the ball where I want, hard and crisply, it’s a joy that very few people experience.”
- Tiger Woods and Jack Nicklaus consider him to be the best ball striker the game has ever seen.
WORKOUT: Have the team answer the following questions:
- How do you respond when it comes to practice do you say I have to go to practice or I get to go to practice?
- What are you willing to do to take your game to the next level to help the team?
Athlete of the Week: Coach summarizes his choice for the award.
- Introduction: Each athlete is in the process of building their character story. The character athlete for this week is ___________________________.
CLOSE: Team Leader concludes practice by leading the Final Four as their teammates echo it back as yesterday.